Faculty Curriculum Design Grant
CNAIR is pleased to announce 2018-2019 faculty grants for curriculum design. As the university’s and Chicago’s intellectual hub for Indigenous-centered research, CNAIR supports undergraduate, graduate, and faculty research and teaching in all disciplines. The Curriculum Design Grant will provide faculty with resources to create and integrate Native American and Indigenous Studies (NAIS) course content into their classes. We anticipate that the outcome of the grants may include course redesigns, new content added to an existing course, or new pedagogical methods. For example, faculty might conduct research on Indigenous Studies pedagogies and incorporate them into a course; they might plan a new course topic informed by NAIS. We ask that applicants commit to teaching the redesigned course within two years of receiving the funding. We welcome fellowship applications from faculty in all disciplines, including the humanities, social sciences, science and engineering, business, law, and medicine.
Proposals should indicate how the curriculum design aligns with the Center’s mission to advance scholarship, teaching, learning, and artistic or cultural practices related to Native American and Indigenous communities, priorities, histories, and lifeways. NAIS methodologies and topics should be central to the course redesign.
- All Northwestern faculty (tenure-line faculty and lecturers) are encouraged to apply
- Applicants may request up to $10,000
- Award notifications will be made by March 1, 2019; awards must be used by August 31, 2019
- Award recipients will be invited to present the results of their curriculum design at the Center’s annual spring research symposium
Applications are due by January 7, 2019. Please submit the following documents as one PDF file to email@example.com:
- A 2 page (single spaced) proposal for the curriculum design.
Indicate specifically which course you propose to redesign and delineate the nature of the design (are you creating a new unit? Redesigning the focus of a course? Seeking to research and apply new methodologies?). Explain how the course aligns with CNAIR’s mission, vision, and goals. Please indicate the anticipated results of your work: how will it transform student learning at Northwestern, and how will it contribute to NAIS course offerings?
- Detailed budget
Please provide a detailed budget. The budget may include up to $5000 in summer salary. Please note that the grants do not support faculty research except in cases when that research directly affects undergraduate teaching.
- Letter of approval and commitment to offering the course in the next two years from your department chair (email correspondence will suffice)
Back to top